Seth MacFarlane explains joke about Harvey Weinstein from 2013

| October 12, 2017
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane has explained why he made a joke about producer Harvey Weinstein while announcing the supporting actress nominations for the Oscars in 2013. After naming the actresses, he said, “Congratulations, you five ladies no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein.”  Following the recent list of sexual assault and harassment allegations levied against Mr Weinstein , Mr MacFarlane explained his joke on Twitter. Read more Cara Delevingne is latest Harvey Weinstein accuser May speaks out against Weinstein and hints he could lose honour “In 2013, my friend and colleague Jessica Barth, with whom I worked on the Ted films, confided in me regarding her encounter with Harvey Weinstein and his attempted advances. She has since courageously come forward to speak out,” he said. “It was with this account in mind that, when I hosted the Oscars in 2013, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to take a hard swing in his direction.” “Make no mistake, this came from a place of loathing and anger,” he added. pic.twitter.com/z8cyxrd693 — Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) October 11, 2017 Ms Barth has responded to criticism of Mr MacFarlane for not speaking up at the time. “To the people slamming Seth for not ‘doing’ anything, please STOP! He stood by me and respected my wishes that he not retaliate in any way,” she wrote in a tweet . Earlier this week, The New Yorker reported an account from Ms Barth about a meeting she had with Mr Weinstein in 2011.  She claimed the producer alternated between offering to cast her in a film and demanding a naked massage in bed. “So, what would happen if, say, we’re having some champagne and I take my clothes off and you give me a massage?” Ms Barth recalled Mr Weinstein asking. “And I’m, like, ‘That’s not going to happen.’” Read more Seth MacFarlane made joke about Weinstein and women at 2013 Oscars Mounting numbers of women are coming forward with allegations of sexual assault and misconduct against Mr Weinstein, most recently model Cara Delevingne . Angelina Jolie, Ashley Judd and Gwyneth Paltrow have also accused him of harassment. Mr Weinstein has denied allegations of rape made in The New Yorker magazine. “There were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances,” spokeswoman Sallie Hofmeister said in a statement to the magazine. “Mr Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual.” Harvey Weinstein: his accusers 8 show all Harvey Weinstein: his accusers 1/8 1990: an unidentified former Miramax assistant According to a former Miramax employee, a young assistant “left the company abruptly after an encounter with Harvey Weinstein” and received a settlement from Weinstein for an unspecified incident in 1990. Getty 2/8 1991: Laura Madden, a production assistant who worked at Miramax for a decade Madden told the Times that Weinstein consistently “prodded her for massages at hotels,” a common theme among the sources the Times’s reporters spoke with. On one occasion, she said she locked herself in his hotel bathroom, sobbing 3/8 1996: actress Ashley Judd Judd recounted for the Times how Weinstein allegedly harassed her while she was filming Kiss the Girls, inviting her to his hotel room and asking her for a massage, then inviting her to watch him shower. Judd first went public with the allegations in a 2015 interview with Variety during which she discussed the experience without naming the producer involved. She described Weinstein’s behavior as “coercive bargaining”; “I said no, a lot of ways, a lot of times, and he always came back at me with some new ask,” she told the Times AFP/Getty 4/8 1997: actress Rose McGowan McGowan reportedly reached a “previously undisclosed” $100,000 settlement with Weinstein in 1997, over an incident that occurred in a hotel room Getty 5/8 1998: Zelda Perkins, Miramax production assistant According to unnamed former colleagues of Perkins’s who spoke to the Times, Perkins allegedly confronted Weinstein about his behaviour toward her and other women at the company. She allegedly threatened to sue him or “go public”; a Miramax lawyer was reportedly tasked with negotiating a settlement Getty 6/8 2014: Emily Nestor, a Weinstein Company temp employee Nestor had been temping at the Weinstein Company for only one day when Weinstein allegedly offered to boost her career in return for sexual favors, according to the Times. She declined and reportedly complained of his behaviour to colleagues, who later passed the information on to senior executives. An internal Weinstein Company document cited by the Times describes Nestor’s encounter with Weinstein as follows: “She said he was very persistent and focused though she kept saying no for over an hour” Getty 7/8 2015: Ambra Battilana, an aspiring model and actress In March 2015, Battilana was reportedly summoned to Weinstein’s office on a Friday night to discuss her career. According to a police report cited by the Times, Battilana said she was assaulted by Weinstein, who “grabbed her breasts after asking if they were real and put his hands up her skirt.” Weinstein later claimed that Battilana had set him up, according to colleagues of his who were interviewed by the Times. The Manhattan District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, later declined to press charges, and according to the Times, “made a payment” to Battilana. On 5 October, the International Business Times reported that after Vance dropped the charges, he received $10,000 from Weinstein’s lawyer 8/8 2015: Lauren O’Connor, an employee of the Weinstein Company Lauren O’Connor penned a memo to executives alleging “a toxic environment for women” at the company. The memo cited numerous incidents of Weinstein harassing or coercing women who worked for him. She expressed fear that Weinstein was using her and other female employees to “facilitate liaisons with ‘vulnerable women who hope he will get them work.’” That same year, Weinstein allegedly reached a settlement with O’Connor Getty Weinstein has separately issued an apology and said he is going to get therapy.  “I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologise for it,” he said in a statement issued last week. “Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.” More about: Harvey Weinstein Seth MacFarlane Jessica Barth Reuse content

Tags:

Category: U.S.A.

Comments are closed.